Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Baby Shower Gift for Jill










I decided to make a baby gift for a friend. She is not into scrapbooking or card making at all. I invited her to a workshop at my house and she actually said, "I don't really want to come make something because I will probably just throw it away..." Eeeek!! I cannot imagine throwing away something that is handmade, especially if I made it. I would rather give it away!! I make LOTS of cards.

Last weekend I woke up feeling generous so I put out a bunch of cards in a basket at a crop and only charged for them at a donation...some people gave me a dollar or two for each card...I know I could've sold them on Etsy for at least $4 a card, but I donated all the money to a local children's organization. It felt good to give the money to a charity and give the cards to people who appreciate handmade things.

You might be wondering why I would make a handmade gift for a friend who may or may not appreciate it...well, I can't knit and I can't sew, but I want to do something from the heart.....This is my best bet. I made her a memory keeper box with the baby's name on the top. She isn't super sentimental, but she may have little things from his birth that she wants to save. I also covered a chipboard peek-a-boo album with matching paper so she could stick some pictures in it.

Finally, I stamped a few thank you cards and envelopes for her to use after all the baby showers.


All of the paper, inks and stamps are Close to My Heart. I used a few buttons and chipboard letters from my stash. I tried to distress and ink the book to make it look like it would be perfect for a rough and tumble boy....I also went with colors that might match her house. This is the perfect memory keeper box because it will slide right into a bookshelf and she can write his name on the back edge as a label.

** EDITED: By the way, yes my friend's name is Jill and her husband is Jack...and their baby will be Jack Eugene IV.....SOOO CUTE!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

OK that is totally awesome, she better NOT Throw it away! The album is super cute..I love the distressing! The thank you cards are wayyy cool.
I did look at the new catty...very exciting...lots of 'have to have' stuff I see.
Can't wait to get one in my hands!

Lisa Brown said...

Very cute, Nellie! I bet she treasures this gift...how special!

Elaine said...

You're a true artist! I love how your projects are very unique and show a lot of personality! That's really wonderful these days because it's easy to copycat - instead you're an original and you do it very very well! This cute little album is a treasure!

twinjulie said...

Hey Nellie! Jill will absolutely love it! I have a feeling Jill will get much more sentimental once baby Jack arrives. Thanks for being such a great friend to Jill!