Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Swap Club Thursday!!


Its time for the swap club this Thursday! I am excited about my card this week. The theme was to use your favorite stamp or paper to create a card. I decided to use a wonderful owl stamp set to create my own background on a craft card base. Then I attached a glittery floral strip from K&Co. along with a sweet sentiment and another owl using pop dots. I love this little card! The stitching around the edges was created with a white gel pen. I can never make every card exactly the same...so all the cards have different colors and different owls.



Here are some cards from the last swap club. I think they are terrific! The theme was to 'create' your own embellishments.

Next month the theme is 'wedding or baby congratulations.' I haven't decided if I am going to make a few of each.....or all baby...or all wedding...


One of my favorite things about the swap club is teaching everyone something new...or allowing them to practice something they haven't done in a while. I don't send them home with extra cards, but we make a couple of little tags for this technique 'mini-book'


This week I am focusing on patterned paper once again. I get to use up scraps of paper left over from various workshops and projects. I can offer this little swap 'class' for free because we are making cheap little tags and not big cards with bases and embellishments and foam adhesive.

First, I will show everyone one of my least favorite patterned papers. I will explain that I can jazz it up by using an embossing pen and clear embossing powder. Then I will show them how to stamp an owl on to watercolor paper using Juniper and then Cocoa slightly off-set so it will look a bit like an authentic bock print.

Second, I will show them how to stamp on the back of patterned paper and then cut around their image and use only the patterned paper and the shape of the stamp, not the actual texture or color of the image. We will also do some crinkling, sanding, and inking for a distressed look.



Did you notice? All of my cards have an owl this week! Yay!! I haven't featured an owl on any of my workshop cards so I thought it would be fun to go owl crazy this week. I am also letting everyone practice adding eyelets if they want to. The Crop-A-Dile is new to me...and I love it!

Only 7 more days of summer school!! I am soooo ready for some time off! Expect daily posts!! Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

LOVE what you have done with the Owl set, I may have to get it now!

Sarah said...

WOW I love all your work. I love the little technique tag holder..what a brilliant idea. Your owls are so sweet.

Jamie Harder said...

Your card is AWESOME!! I just love those little owls and your card is so creative:-) Love it!!