Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Matisse for President



(source)

This collage is by the artist Henri Matisse. I just love the organic shapes and bright colors in his artwork. Every year, I do the same project with my kindergarten and first grade students using Matisse and his collages as inspiration.

Today I moved a girl from one table to another table because she continued to talk while I was talking even though I asked to to 'Please stop talking'. Once everyone started working, I went to check on her progress. She wasn't phased a bit by the fact that she had actually gotten moved during the lesson (something I rarely do!). Instead, she was engrossed in the collage she was creating using scissors and brightly colored construction paper. As I looked down to make sure that she was following instructions, she looked up at me and said, "I'm going to be the president when I grow up. I am going to change the world."

3 comments: