Friday, May 18, 2012

Best Year Yet!! HAPPY SUMMER!!


This was one of my favorite school years ever. It was the first year in a long time that I did not have a student teacher....and I really feel a strong connection to my sweet kindergarteners that will be moving on to the primary school next year.

I think it helped that I had them for the entire year and did not relinquish any teaching responsibilities to a student teacher. I love having a student teacher, but I'm really glad that I had a break this year. I had two student teachers last year, and both years before I had one. The continuity and consistency helps make the year so smooth.

A kindergartener told me on Monday, " Mrs. Mitchell, you are the best art teacher in the whole world and I do not want ever want another art teacher." She must've figured out that I won't be her art teacher next year. I reassured her that she will love her new art teacher in 1st grade...(but I didn't tell her that she will probably forget all about me by Christmas, it usually happens that way every year).

My last week of school is always one of my favorites. It is fun because I can relax with my students and really have fun. The regular schedule is modified for play days and celebrations and rewards. Everyone is casual, relaxed, unbound by the regular routines.

At 11:00 on Friday we will dismiss for the summer. I will have 12 weeks off!! This is the first year that I haven't taught summer classes. Last year, I conducted the Art Lounge program once a week, had a photography exhibit and dealt with the aftermath of the tornado.

This year, my summer scheduled is speckled with a few loose commitments, but for the most part it is free and clear. I intend to do some traveling (I'm seriously craving a road trip...but I think that will have to wait until next year) but mostly, I want to drink hot tea on my screen porch, have pool play dates with friends, attend morning Zumba classes and renew my artistic spirit.

I intend to do plenty of blogging and writing and creating. Oh, and reading. My goal is to read at least 10 books this summer. I've got a lengthy and varied list, suggested by my facebook friends.

3 comments:

Lisa Brown, ink and inspirations said...

Hi Nellie,
I'm glad you had a wonderful school year. I'm sure your students absolutely adore you.
Have a great summer!
Lisa :)

honeybee said...

Yay! Congrats to you on a great year. I too felt like this was a very satisfying school year (despite the craziness of work at the moment).

Aren't those comments from kids the best?! I had a little girl tell me yesterday, "I'm glad you chose to be an art teacher." Aww, it made me feel like I was in the right place, so nice.

Happy Summer!

honeybee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.