Wednesday, May 9, 2012

DIY Create a Succulent Terrarium

Lowe's has some lovely succulents right now if you are interested in creating a succulent terrarium of your own. I first saw succulents on Etsy, and I thought they looked so cool, I was happy to find them locally.

 I am not much of a green thumb, but luckily, they only require watering every two weeks or so.

I have them on my front porch, hopefully it is sunny enough for them....we'll see how they do. A sunny window sill would be ideal.

To make a terrarium, select a glass container with a wide opening, so that moisture does not accumulate inside. I used a fish bowl and a glass candle dish.

 I put a layer of rocks/gravel in the bottom as a reservoir for the water so the dirt doesn't stay saturated. For looks, I added a layer of pretty white sand.

Then I made a layer of cactus/succulent dirt for the actual plants to grow and thrive. I planted the succulent plants in the layer of dirt and then added pretty shells and rocks on top.

The photos below were taken with my Lens Baby 2.0. Pretty cool, huh?



My existing porch plants.



I put this one in a little cracked tea cup.


2 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

I remember in the 70's when we would make terrariums in huge glass bottles - the kind you use for a water cooler!
Rinda

Anonymous said...

wow lovely terrariums! and i love the photos too :) have you seen the light bulb terrariums? those are pretty too, though harder to make, i think..